Frequently Asked Questions

Every day tens of thousands of people working on the roadside in B.C. are counting on you to slow down and drive with care when approaching a “Cone Zone.” Behind each work zone cone is a worker in a vulnerable position while doing their job at the roadside, or in some cases on the road, in close proximity to traffic. Each cone stands for someone’s father, mother, son, or daughter.

What types of roadside workers are there?

Roadside worksites involve hundreds of activities, not just road construction. There are a wide variety of workers in the “Cone Zone” − municipal workers, landscapers, flag people, tow truck drivers, road construction and maintenance workers, telecommunications and utility workers, and emergency and enforcement personnel.

What is the objective?

The goal of the annual Cone Zone campaign is to raise awareness of the risks workers face in roadside work zones, and for employers, workers and drivers to do their part to prevent deaths and injuries of roadside workers in B.C.

What should I do when driving through Cone Zones?

When driving through Cone Zones, the most important things to do are slow down and pay attention to instructions from traffic control persons, temporary road signs and traffic control devices.

Leave your phone alone.  Every roadside worker deserves to make it home to their family at the end of their shift without injury.

What are the penalties for unsafe driving in a Cone Zone?

The typical tickets include:

  • using an electronic device while driving ($368)
  • speeding ($196 and up)
  • disobeying a Traffic Control Device ($121)
  • disobeying a Flag Person ($196)

For your safety, and the safety of others, all motorists, pedestrians and cyclists must obey the directions of a Traffic Control Person (TCP) in roadside work zones. It’s the law. TCPs have the authority to direct traffic under the Motor Vehicle Act, Part 3, Sections 141 and 141.1.

What is the speed limit in a Cone Zone?

If there is no speed limit posted in a roadside work zone, observe the regular posted speed limit on the roadway. This is applicable to both highways and municipal roadways.

If there are vehicles with red, blue or amber flashing lights, the Slow Down and Move Over law applies. If the posted speed limit is greater than 80 km/h, drivers must slow to 70 km/h. If the posted speed is less than 80 km/h, drivers must slow to 40 km/h. In both situations, drivers should be prepared move over and increase the space between their vehicle and the work zone, if it’s safe to do so.

How can I stay informed?

Please sign up for our Cone Zone E-News bulletin, or drop us a line at