Roadside Work Preparation Checklist
Before you start work
Review this checklist before your workers begin their work.
- Do you have a documented work zone layout for the work site? Does the layout address site-specific hazards?
- Do you have the proper traffic control devices – cones, barriers, signs? Is all equipment in good condition?
- Do you have safe work procedures for roadside work? For working around mobile equipment and work vehicles?
- Do you have an emergency plan for the work site?
- Do all workers have proper high-visibility garments and other required personal protective equipment (PPE)?
- Have workers received a safety briefing?
- Do workers understand:
- The work zone layout?
- Emergency procedures?
- Hazards of the work site, including mobile equipment or work vehicles?
- Safe work procedures for roadside work?
- Safe procedures for working around mobile equipment and work vehicles?
- How to report near misses and other safety incidents?
- Have you identified a person responsible for the work zone set-up? Do they have the authority to take corrective action as required (i.e., to modify the work zone set-up to address on-site hazards)?
- Have you identified hazards and controlled risks associated with job activities, in addition to vehicle and traffic hazards?
- Do you have a plan to regularly inspect the work zone to ensure proper set-up?
If workers do not know their work site in advance
- Are their vehicles set up with the signs, cones and other traffic control devices that they may need?
- Do they know how to set up a safe work zone; i.e., how to place traffic warning signs and other devices?
- Do they know how to identify and address vehicle and traffic hazards once they arrive at their work site?